Are You Getting a Good Night's Sleep?
- Need an alarm clock to get up?
- Have difficulty getting out of bed?
- Wake up feeling irritable, stressed and un-refreshed?
- Feel tired throughout the day?
If so, you may be suffering from a sleep disorder. The appropriate amount and quality of sleep provides mental and physical restoration. Many individuals do not have restorative sleep, which can significantly affect daily functioning and quality of life.
Benefits of a good night sleep:
- Reduces stress
- Increases alertness
- Increases memory
- Assist with weight loss
Common types of sleep disorders:
- Obstructive, central and complex sleep apnea (temporary pauses in breathing)
- Movement disorders (restless leg syndrome—urge to move or rub legs)
- Insomnia—inability to fall asleep or remain asleep all night
- Narcolepsy-excessive sleepiness, falling asleep at inappropriate time
Signs and symptoms of sleep disorders:
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Not breathing at night
- Difficulty falling asleep
- Acting out dreams
- Wake frequently to urinate
- Snore loudly
- Morning Headaches
- Restless legs
- Multiple awakenings at night
- Poorly controlled blood pressure
- Anxiety, irritability or depression
- Difficulty concentrating
- Personality changes
- Restless sleep
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you should contact your physician.
Untreated sleep disorders can lead to increase risk for:
- Heart Attack
- High Blood Pressure
For more information about The Center for Sleep Disorder or to schedule an appointment , please call us at 603-580-7653.
Center for Sleep Disorder
4 Alumni Drive
Exeter, NH 03833